Capstone's Incontinence Relief System (IRS)
How the Product Works:
• Effectively separates patient's skin from their fecal and urine waste.
• Provides continuous zero pressure in the buttock/sacrum region.
• Eliminates friction and shear over a large portion of the buttock area.
The IRS consists of the following components:
• A pressure reducing mattress with a 10" long x 5" wide x 8" thick cavity, which is designed and Co-Branded by Tempur-Pedic Medical.
• A specially designed disposable draw sheet with an attached waste collection plastic bag.
Benefits Provided by the IRS:
• Significantly reduces nursing time and laundry costs for fecal incontinence care.
• Accelerates healing of pressure ulcers and reduces pressure ulcer incidence.
• Reduces spread of C-Diff infections.
• Significantly reduces occurrence of UTI's by significantly reducing the need for Foley Catheters.
The application of the IRS involves placing the draw sheet and attached plastic bag onto the mattress and extending the plastic bag into the mattress cavity. While the patient lies comfortably on the Tempur-Pedic Medical mattress, the patient's fecal and urine waste are collected in the bottom of the plastic bag. Thus, there is an effective separation of the patient's skin and their fecal and urine waste.
Comparing the IRS Mattress to a Low Air Loss Mattress:
The IRS mattress is a high quality pressure reducing mattress designed and Co-Branded by Tempur-Pedic Medical. Significantly, the pressure reducing capabilities of the IRS mattress are uniquely enhanced by the 10" x 5" x 8" mattress cavity. All three bony prominences in the buttock's area - coccyx, sacrum and ischium - fit within in the 10" x 5" x 8" mattress cavity. Therefore, the IRS mattress is the only mattress available that provides continuous zero pressure over the three bony prominences in the buttock's area. This is extremely important because a majority of significant pressure ulcers occur in these areas.
A low air loss mattress is typically the best pressure reducing mattress used by hospitals, including ICU's. These mattresses produce about 30 mmHg pressure in the buttock/sacrum region compared to the continuous 0 mmHg pressure provided by the IRS mattress. Therefore, the IRS mattress is a considerably superior pressure reducing mattress compared to a low air loss mattress for the critical buttock/sacrum region.
Unique Engineered Features:
Taking the unique engineered features provided by the IRS into account - fecal management, continuous zero pressure, elimination of friction and shear - Nothing more can be done from an engineering perspective to treat and prevent pressure ulcers in the critical buttock/sacrum region.